- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, chopped into small cubes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 servings cooked basmati rice
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
Saute half the onions in 1 tablespoon oil in a saute pan until translucent, then add the coconut and cook until soft. Remove from the heat and blend in a food processor with a little water to form a puree. Set aside.
Saute the remaining onions in 1 tablespoon oil until golden brown. Add the garlic and ginger pastes and cook for 2 minutes over medium heat. Stir in the coriander, chili powder, cumin, turmeric and some salt and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the chicken and saute for 5 minutes, and then pour in the tomato sauce and coconut-onion puree. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes.
Divide the chicken into four equal portions, placing each over a bed of warm basmati rice. Garnish with cilantro.