Bistro-Style Short Ribs
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 pounds short ribs, in 1 long piece or at least in pairs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 large tomato, quartered
- 3 ribs celery
- 1/2 head garlic, peeled
- 1/4 bunch fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups low-sodium, organic beef stock
- 4 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
Preheat a cast iron grill or outdoor grill.
Take a large Dutch oven and place over medium-high heat. Add a 3-count of extra-virgin olive oil and add the thyme to infuse the oil. Next add the vegetable pulp, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and cook for about 10 minutes. Pour in the red wine and stock and bring it to a boil. Using tongs take the ribs and nestle them into the braising mix; the liquid should just about cover the meat. Place the lid loosely on top, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the meat is very tender, approximately 2 1/2 to 3 hours.