Green Beans Slow-Cooked with Bacon and Onions
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 to 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 pounds fresh green beans
- 2 quarts chicken stock or water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat a heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat. Add the olive oil, bacon, and onions and cook until the onion is soft, about 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the green beans and chicken stock; season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, and cook the green beans until they are soft but not mushy, about 30 to 45 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.