Vegetable Primavera with Eggs
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup seasonal vegetables, such as carrots and zucchini, diced
- 4 cups wheat berry grains, soaked in water for 12 hours, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable or tomato broth
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 4 farm-fresh duck eggs
- Grated Parmesan, for garnish
Melt 8 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the carrot and zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in the wheat berries, thyme and broth and cook until the broth is reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and season with some salt and pepper. Add half of the parsley and rosemary, and the honey, and toss to combine.
Meanwhile, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet or on a griddle, and fry the eggs sunny-side up until the whites are set.
To serve, portion the wheat berry primavera into 4 bowls. Top each portion with a fried egg and garnish with the remaining parsley and rosemary and some freshly grated Parmesan.