"Whatever Fruit Is in the Fridge" Crumble
FOR THE FILLING:
- 5 or 6 stone fruits ( apricots, peaches, plums, nectarines) in 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1/2 or 2 cups berries, rinsed and drained
- 1 or 2 handfuls of cherries or grapes, pitted and halved
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons Minute Tapioca (flour or cornstarch can be substituted, but I prefer tapioca)
- Pinch of kosher salt
FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING:
To make the filling, gently toss the stone fruits, berries, cherries or grapes, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, tapioca and a pinch of salt together in a large bowl. Spoon the filling into a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan.
To make the crumb topping, stir together the flour, oats, dark brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Blend in butter with your fingertips, fork, or pastry blender until mixture forms pea-size clumps.
Spoon topping evenly over fruit filling and bake on a middle rack in a preheated 375 degree F oven until fruit is bubbling and the top is nicely browned, about 60 minutes. Let the crumble cool for about 10 minutes before serving.