Whole Grilled Parrot Fish
- 2 ti leaves or banana leaves
- 1 whole uhu (parrot fish), scored (about 5 pounds)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 4 lap xiong or Chinese sausage, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
- 2 large Hamakua mushrooms, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced into 2-inch pieces, 1/4 cup reserved for garnish
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
Preheat the grill.
Place a large piece of aluminum foil on a flat surface. Place 1 ti leaf on top, followed by the fish. Sprinkle both sides of the fish with salt.
Mix together the mayonnaise and pesto in a small bowl until smooth. Smother the mayonnaise mixture all over the fish, getting into all the scores. Combine the sausage, garlic, mushrooms, green onions and yellow onions and stuff the mixture into the fish scores, flipping and stuffing into the other side as well. Top the fish with the second ti leaf, and then another piece of aluminum foil, tightly wrapping it all up to form a pouch.
Grill the fish for 30 to 40 minutes. Carefully unwrap the foil and serve family-style, garnishing with the reserved green onions.
NotesA viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.