Wild BC Salmon Packets with Pinot Noir/Red Pepper Sauce
- 4 6 oz. fillets wild BC salmon, skinned and pin-boned
- 1-2 large portabella mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- Pinot Noir/ Red Pepper Sauce:
- 1 cup Pinot Noir
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock, lightly salted or unsalted
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 large red pepper, roasted, peeled and pureed
- 2 Tbs. butter, unsalted
- salt and pepper to taste
SALMON: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Sautee portabellas in olive oil for 3-4 minutes over medium heat until soft, then set aside. Place each salmon fillet on two sheets of phyllo and sprinkle lightly with salt. Divide portabella mix evenly on top of fillets and wrap sheets around each fillet to form packets. Bake packets for 20-25 minutes until phyllo is lightly browned.
SAUCE: Add Pinot Noir to sauce pan and reduce over medium heat by half. Add stock, red pepper puree and thyme. Reduce by another third. Turn off heat, swirl in butter, add salt and pepper to taste and remove thyme. Reheat slowly to a simmer before serving.