Winter Layered Salad with Beets and Oranges
- 1 cup farro
- 3 medium oranges
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons drained capers
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups mesclun greens (about 5 ounces)
- 1/2 head radicchio, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 4 large cooked and peeled beets, cut into wedges (about 10 ounces)
- Special equipment: a straight-sided 3-quart tall glass bowl or four 16-ounce wide-mouth glass jars with lids
Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the farro, and simmer until plumped and tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. (The farro can be made and refrigerated up to 2 days ahead.)
Cook the pine nuts, raisins, capers, 2 tablespoons of the oil and the garlic in a small skillet over medium-high heat, swirling frequently, until the pine nuts and garlic are toasted and light brown and the raisins are browned in spots, 4 to 6 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of the vinegar, and cook until just reduced, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat, and let cool.
Whisk the remaining 3 tablespoons vinegar, the shallots, mustard, honey, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper in a medium bowl. Slowly drizzle in the remaining 1/3 cup oil, whisking constantly, until blended into a vinaigrette.
Using a 3-quart tall glass bowl for 1 large salad or four 16-ounce wide-mouth glass jars for 4 individual salads, make a first layer with half the mesclun, then add the following in separate layers: the oranges, radicchio, farro, the remaining mesclun, the beets and blue cheese. Top with the pine nut mixture.
If making 1 salad, just before serving, transfer it to a large bowl, toss with the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper. If making 4 salads, add vinaigrette to each jar, season with salt and pepper, cover with the lid and shake to coat.